I'm sure you've all heard the classic saying "All for One and One for All!".... "All for One" was the theme of last week and I would like to start by apologizing for the delay on the update. As a means of promoting more fellowship and building more community the staff shut off the student's internet access all week, which made it problematic to get an update out. So sorry for the delay, here goes! So to be completely honest I struggled a lot this week on project. Along with taking our internet, the staff basically took away all direct communication with us. The way that they would inform us about events and details they would give a "clue" to one student and it was our job to pass this information by word of mouth to the rest of the project. Some of the things we had to do as a community this week were take an entire project picture without talking, only one person of each gender could set an alarm one morning so we had to wake each other up at different times, and a lot of things relating to the end of the week staff vs. students softball game. I was pretty frustrated with the secrecy this week because in my mind it felt very much like we were at some sort of summer camp. It didn't feel like we were being treated like adults and it didn't feel like real life. It was hard for me to have the desire to participate whole heartedly and my attitude reflected this. The entire week was building towards the softball game climax. We all wore the same uniforms, all 110 of us paraded to the field and we chanted and cheered the entire way there. It was fun and in all honesty I had a great time, but about half way through the game I became discouraged again. In my mind I could not justify playing a softball game instead of doing an outreach (which we had done every other saturday). Again I became frustrated and my attitude toward the night changed drastically. In my journal I wrote "is this really all the body of Christ is for? to have fun with each other?" It wasn't until Sunday that I realized what had really happened throughout the week. Some guys asked me if I'd like to come along on a walk with them and so I went. I ended up talking to them about my frustrations and a guy named Matt really spoke truth into me. He explained that the main reason he came to Ocean City was for the fellowship. He came here to be built up by the body and to be a part of a community of believers. All for One week was exactly what he was looking for. I was so convicted! How selfish I had been all week. In my mind all I could think about was what I would rather be doing, and what I thought was best. Thats not how the body works. I was living this week all for one and that one was me. What I learned this week is that I am a part of the body of Christ and the question shouldn't be what can I get out of this, but instead what can I give to this. How can I be one for all? How can I serve my brothers and sisters? How can I encourage others and spur them on towards Christ? My mindset was so off this entire week.
It is interesting though, I looked at this week as the worst one since I've been on project BUT I had the best night of project during this week. We had a Men's "conference" on Wednesday, and it was phenomenal. I use the quotations because it was more like Men's boot camp. The staff had us meet them out in the Ocean City state park and immediately we were forced to work together as a group. The entire night was based around community as men, and learning what it means to be a man of Christ. I think that I got so much out of this time was because every single one of us working together and encouraging each other to persevere through the challenges. Not only physically, but spiritually we were stretched as well. I have never been to a men's time that wasn't focused on sexual purity, but this one was different. That issue was addressed, but the night was dedicated to our hearts. It was about how as men we can be being real with eachother. It was about how we can grow together and how we can be waging war on sin as a body. I don't know, when I think about community, this is what I want. I want to be a part of a community that loves on each other and genuinely cares about how the person next to them is doing. I got so much more out of this week than I had expected. I praise God for pursuing me even when I am not whole heartedly pursuing what He lays before me. I also praise Him for teaching me even when I didn't want to learn.
3 comments:
Thank you for the update, Chris. It is such a blessing to me to read of your thoughts and experiences. I am struck by, how, at the end of the week Christ revealed His purpose and presence in your experience...and once again, Christ came through. The week may not have felt like "real life", but I tell you, Chris, not a day goes by in real life when we don't question a circumstance, a situation and wonder if things will work out, instead of focusing on doing our best with the task at hand and trusting that Christ's purpose will come through. The older I get and look back at the times of uncertainty and doubt, I realize Christ did, indeed, come through and teach me, love me and make me better. There is an old saying "Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal." More aptly put, I think it is "Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off Christ." Have a great week. I am praying for you, always.
Sounds like you learned a lot this week even though you may not have wanted to. It's amazing how the same situation can affect people so differently and it is really sweet that you can work through your discomfort for the good of others. I hope you have a great week coming up and thanks for keeping us all updated on the haps at your project. I'm praying for you.
that's so sweet to read about Chris! we're doing a similar, but less intense week like that here--the staff are gonna be leaving in about a week, which is crazy to think about! but yeah, what an awesome lesson God taught you! God's totally breaking me lately and i just know that it's in times like this that God can teach me the most! it's so cool that He's done that for you! we had a really sweet women's time the other night, and yeah, just focusing on the Gospel made it so much sweeter than any other women's time i've ever had probably. thanks for your in depth posts! they truly are so, so encouraging! i'm praying for you always!
Post a Comment