Ocean City 2008

Matthew 28:18-20




Friday, July 11, 2008

Stepping Into Leadership


I suppose the climax of this week entitled "Agape" would be the moment last night when the Project Director, Bob Fuhs, said "We are no longer the staff of this project" and proceeded to leave the church with the rest of the staff. The staff got a standing ovation, but the real celebration and excitement began once the doors were closed. The Lord has placed the movement into the hands of the students and we couldn't be more excited. For those of you that have never been on a summer project, the staff leaves half way through the summer and the students fill the roles that the staff once had. Each student is responsible for some task that the staff had and the project really could not function with out each and every student. The staff has asked me to be the Outreach Director, with a girl named Hannah, for the rest of the summer. I am EXTREMELY excited about this position because the Lord has really placed evangelism on my heart this summer and I cannot think of any other job that I would rather do. As the Co-Director of Outreach and part of the Outreach team we are responsible for planning and running all outreaches and evangelistic events. We've already had a few meetings and have been able to plan tomorrow's outreach. I love the team that I get to be a part of, all of the members' passion for the Gospel and their hearts for the lost are so encouraging. We have come up with a vision statement of "Trusting the Lord to ignite a passion for the Gospel here, to create a lifestyle of evangelism everywhere." Our vision for this project is that sharing your faith would not be an activity that you do, but a lifestyle that you live. We want people to fall in love with the gospel and to have a passion for sharing that with other people. It is crazy for me to think about how much growth the Lord has shown me over the past year. Last summer if you would have asked me if I would want to spend 11 weeks next summer sharing the gospel I would have said two things. One: What's the gospel? and Two: You're out of your mind! There was no way that I would have given 11 weeks of my summer to go share the gospel, but now I cannot think of anything greater that I could dedicate my life to, let alone my summer. I praise the Lord for this opportunity to serve Him as part of the Outreach Team and I cannot wait to see how the Lord is going to work, through the gospel, in the hearts of the people on project and in the lives of the people we reach out to. 

2 comments:

MLong said...

To you, Chris and to Hannah...lead with your heart...for it is Christ who owns and guides it.

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, He (it is) that doth go with thee; He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."
- Deuteronomy 31:6

Caeli said...

Chris, i'm so excited for you! you are such a great person to be put into the position of evangelism team! i am so encouraged every time i read your blog and i'm excited x 1000 about your mom's amazing decision! the Lord is so wonderfully good!